Security is a top priority of FolderFlex
SECURE DATA STORAGE IN GERMANY
FolderFlex runs on failsafe computers in a large German data center. In our datacenter, fully air-conditioned security rooms provide protection from gas, water and fire. Special door and lock systems, trained staff and camera surveillance provide protection from burglars.
All data are stored on mirrored harddrives and are backed up on a daily basis. The back-up is copied to a second location daily.
As data center operators for FolderFlex, we have implemented a management system for data protection. Not only technical systems, but also all processes involved are checked to ensure maximum protection for you and your data.
MAXIMUM PASSWORD PROTECTION
Passwords are saved in a non-traceable way and are being supplemented with a random character string (Salt). Since it is always transmitted via SSL, the password and all other user input can only be read by the owner.
- The application counts failed logins and blocks a user immediately if the number of failed logins set by the administrator is exceeded.
- Passwords can only be changed by the user himself. Administrators have no access to personal data of a user at any time.
- Every file that is to be given to a user, will be checked individually and only be handed over with sufficient authorization.
SECURE DATA TRANSFER
System communication is always encrypted (https).
- FolderFlex uses EV SSL certificates. EV certificates are only given to companies that have been explicitly verified beforehand. You can recognize the EV certificate by the background color of the URL in your browser.
- Additional web-application-firewall-systems provide the entire system with another protective layer against web-based attacks.
- FolderFlex system environments are monitored by our service desk. Performance data is monitored and recorded to guarantee the overall performance and security of the system.
What do I need to use the system?
- You need any current internet browser
Where do I edit my personal data?
Choose the tab “Profile”. Here you can edit system settings, personal data and manage your contacts.
Where do I change the language?
Choose “Settings” in the tab “Profile”. Here you will find the language settings.
How do I change the look of FolderFlex?
Choose “Settings” in the tab “Profile”. Here you can choose a topic and save it as default.
How do I delete my browser cache?
You can find an English manual for deleting your browser cash here: http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache
Where do I find my FolderFlex downloads?
The download of your selected files is being carried out by your browser. Depending on the application, your files will be stored in different locations.
You can find the English manual for creating a download directory here: http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-Where-a-Download-is-Saved
OS X archive program does not support streamed ZIP
Our system processes files as a stream because this is faster, safer and therefore more efficient. Likewise for the creation of ZIP files that include multiple files, stream-based ZIPs (streamed ZIP) are made. This is a feature of the ZIP-standard since 1993, but unfortunately is not supported by the archive program provided by OS X.
As a consequence, the following error message may show: “DirectDownload.zip“ could not be unzipped in “Downloads.” (Error 2 – neither file nor folder exists).
The archive is intact and can be unzipped with all other ZIP-programs that depict the standard.
We therefore suggest the employment of one of the following programs when using OS X: Keka, BetterZip, The Unarchiver, or Unrar.
QUESTIONS REGARDING LOGIN AND ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT
How do I login?
When you enter the FolderFlex page, you will find a login form in which you can enter your E-Mail address and password.
How do I become a member of a group?
You have to be administrator for the selected group in order to grant access for yourself or other users. Is that the case then click on “Admin” in the menu. Click on the group symbol. Here you can assign your user name to the group. If you are not the administrator, please contact your FolderFlex administrator.
I forgot my password, what can I do?
On the start page of the system, there is a link “Forgot Password”. Here you can enter your e-mail address. You will be guided through the next steps via e-mail. Please note that FolderFlex will send you at least one e-mail to which you should react in a timely manner..
How do I register a new user?
You need administrator rights to grant access to new users. Is that the case, choose “user” in the “Admin” menu. If not, then please contact your FolderFlex administrator.
How is the occupied storage space being calculated?
Only the definitely occupied storage space of your clients will be calculated. All files of the private, group, public sectors, the recycling bin and the active Direct-Downloads will be considered. When setting up a Direct-Download, the calculation is as follows:
- A Direct-Download on a single file which is also present in the folder and the recycling bin will only be calculated once.
- A Direct-Download which includes multiple files compiles a zipped archive file every time. This will be calculated according to its size until it is no longer visible in the DDL manager. 14 days after expiration of validity, a DDL will be deleted automatically. A DDL can be deleted any time within the DDL manager
QUESTIONS REGARDING DOCUMENT STORAGE
Which section can be used for which system?
FolderFlex is a system with an easy structure and is divided into the following sections:
- Menu with all important functions of FolderFlex (data management, profile, admin, help, login).
- Context menu in which all file operations are being listed. This context menu appears when you make a right click within the file or click on the contex menu symbol below the menu.
- Options bar where you can change the file view from symbols to list, select all files or deselect all files.
- Folder navigation is to the right of the options bar. The folder navigation allows you to change the company in whose file system you want to work in. There are symbols for private folders, group folders and a general folder. In addition, there is a symbol for new files and a symbol for the recycling bin. This is how you can navigate through the folder structures of FolderFlex.
How do I create a folder?
- Choose “Compile Folder” in the context menu.
- A dialog will pop up in which you can enter the folder name.
- Confirm by clicking “Compile” or press the ENTER button.
- To compile another folder, choose another new name.
- Click on the red “X” at the top right in the dialog to finish compiling folders.
How do I create an image catalog?
FolderFlex generated a PDF-file in which you can preview all selected images with file names.
- Highlight the image files and/ or folders that you want to include in the image catalog.
- Choose “Image Catalog” in the context menu.
Is there an upload limit?
In FolderFlex, the upload limit is 200 Gigabyte. This limit can be altered upon request.
Is there a download limit?
There is no download limit. The download can only be limited by its validity and the maximal number of downloads.
QUESTIONS REGARDING SECURE FILE TRANSFER
What is the difference between a notification and a Direct-Download-Link?
A notification is aimed at intern FolderFlex users and does not send files but only links. The system checks whether the recipient has appropriate data permissions.
A Direct-Download is aimed at external users that do not have a FolderFlex ID and makes selected data available for download.
How do I send a notification?
- Choose the file(s) that you want to inform other people about.
- Click “Send Notification” in the context menu.
- A form pops up in which you can enter the people that shall be notified. You can also alter the text.
- It is also possible to send a copy to your own account.
- Click “Send” to send your notification.
How do I send a Direct-Download-Link?
- Highlight the corresponding file(s).
- Choose “Send Direct-Download” in the context menu.
- A dialog will pop up in which you choose the validity of a link, set the maximum number of downloads and set a password.
- Please enter the E-Mail addresse(s) of the people that should be notified and type in your message. Please separate multiple E-Mail addresses with a comma.
- It is also possible to send a copy to your own account.
- It is possible that you get an E-Mail notification when the file has been downloaded.
- Click “Send” to send the Direct-Download.
QUESTIONS REGARDING MOBILE AND DESKTOP INTEGRATION
Do Direct-Download-Links have an effect on the storage space?
Each DDL has a validity which you can choose as a user. FolderFlex keeps the DDLs available up to 14 days after the expiration of validity. Therefore, you can reactivate expired DDLs. After 14 days after the expiration of validity, the DDLs will be deleted automatically.
A long availability signifies a large demand for storage space because your data have to be made available for longer. You can delete no longer needed DDLs manually at all times.
What is a Dropfolder and how do I use it?
For each group that is defined in FolderFlex, a Dropfolder can be generated which has a unique link. You can share it with selected business partners who then can provide you with data in a secure and verified manner. All details for installation and configuration can be found in the FolderFlex documentation.
What is a Sharefolder and how do I use it?
For each group that is defined in FolderFlex, a Sharefolder can be generated which has an unambiguous link. You can tell it to selected business partners who then can receive data provided by your company. All details for installation and configuration are to be found in the FolderFlex documentation.
Which apps can I use on mobile devices?
FolderFlex provides a WebDAV interface which is being supported by many filesharing apps on all currents device platforms.
You can decide, whether they can only access data, provide data offline or even synchronize data.
We tested the following apps. They work with FolderFlex reliably:
- Apple iOS: Goodreader, Documents, Webdrive, Sophos Secure Workspace
- Android: Foldersync, Webdrive, Sophos Secure Workspace
How do I access my data from my computer?
FolderFlex provides a WebDAV interface which enables you to access your data from all current operating system platforms.
With OS X and Linux, the native WebDAV connection is prone to guarantee stable working conditions. When using Microsoft Windows, we suggest the following add-ons that will be installed on your computer:
- BitKinex, Webdrive, Netdrive
Is it possible to synchronize data?
FolderFlex offers a WebDAV interface. Depending on the platform, applications are available that carry out the synchronization and keep defined datasets identical.
This practice is common for private use. We assess this practice as worrisome in a business environment because confidential data is being transferred onto many devices. A selective approach is reccomended.
QUESTIONS REGARDING SECURITY
Why do I have to login again after a certain amount of time?
When you have been idle for too long, you will be automatically logged out for security reasons. If this occurs, please login again on the main page.
How does FolderFlex secure my data?
We are the operator of the data center for FolderFlex and work with a management system that is in accordance with the BDSG for data protection. An audit verified that the demands of DZ-DSSVO of DESAG Zert GmbH are met. Not only the technical systems were inspected, but also all involved processes to guarantee the maximum protection for you and your data.
Where is my data being stored?
Your data is being stored on fail-proof computers in a large German data center in Greater Frankfurt am Main. Fully air-conditioned security rooms provide protection from gas, water and fire. Special door and lock systems, trained staff and camera surveillance provide protection from burglaries.
Is all data encrypted with FolderFlex?
Data transfer from the client system to FolderFlex takes place at any time only in encrypted form (https).
FolderFlex uses EV SSL certificates. EV certificates are only given to companies that have been explicitly verified.
You can recognize the EV certificate by the background color in the URL.
All application data and data transferred to the application, including metadata, are saved encrypted and are hereby additionally protected against unauthorized use. This takes place with an AES-256 encryption.
To go beyond the technical protection of all involved systems, regular audits by external trustworthy organizations are conducted to warrant optimal protection for all systems and data.